The newly founded research group "Bioinformatics and Simulation" at the Department of Applied Sciences of Coburg University is offering a position for a
PhD student (f/m/n)
in a DFG-funded research project, which is already granted for the next three years.
The abstract https://gepris.dfg.de/gepris/projekt/439797931?language=en outlines the main objectives of the project. In a nutshell, we want to leverage machine learning, particularly artificial neural networks (aNNs), to develop novel approaches for interpreting patterns in the RNA complements of human individuals. For our analyses, we will employ high dimensional RNA-Seq data, based on which we aim to establish novel aNN topologies that allow to model expert knowledge to govern the process of machine learning. Beside method development, we will investigate relevant human cohorts and we are expecting to find much interesting biology along our way.
We are looking for:
- a curious, creative, proactive and team-minded candidate, who demonstrates largely independent ways of working and enthusiasm for this topic of research;
- holding a Diploma or Master's degree in computer science, bioinformatics or a related field;
- familiar with *NIX working environments (command line);
- with programming experiences, particularly desirable in Python, R and/or Java;
- fluent in spoken and written English.
We are offering:
- a salary based on German laws for employees in the public sector (TV-L E13, 65%), including benefits (social and health insurance);
- competent and dedicated supervision in research and technical challenges;
- elaboration of the PhD project jointly with a renowned research group in the area at a federal university;
- an adequate compute and storage infrastructure, as well as access to restricted data sets of relevance for the topic of research;
- the possibility of participating in international conferences and workshops.
We should stick to:
- application deadline: May 23rd, 2022;
- applications must be submitted through Coburg University application portal, reference 22/29, available (in German) directly via the link https://stellenangebote.hs-coburg.de/jobposting/638298d929ab9669146b03f9c1ca5b4a5156176d0 ;
- for employment, the successful applicant with a foreign (here, non-German) degree must submit a certificate assessment for university qualifications (statement of comparability for foreign Higher Education qualifications") from the Central Office for Foreign Education (https://www.kmk.org/zab/central-office-for-foreign-education).
If our research caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application, with a convincing cover letter, your CV and complementary documents of your career. Applications are welcome in English or German, feel free to contact Prof. Dr. Michael Sammeth (email@example.com) if you require additional information about the project/position, or in case you encounter problems during submission process.